I’m trying to learn for my Communications class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
The role of the internet in today’s music industry is fraught with controversy. The issues of piracy, file sharing, and digital media rights have resulted in a contentious relationship between the internet and established artists, while simultaneously creating career opportunities for small, lesser known artists who have found success outside of the major labels. Streaming services, like Pandora and Spotify, now offer these little-known artists a chance to gain listeners and compete with big-name artists, who are often reluctant to give the rights to their music to these services.
In 2013, David Byrne, musician and former front man of New Wave band, The Talking Heads, wrote an article for The Guardian explaining why he thinks streaming services harm artists and why he won’t participate in them: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/11/david-byrne-internet-content-world (Links to an external site.). Musician David Allen, bassist for the post-punk band Gang of Four, responded with a rebuttal that said Byrne is wrong: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/16/why-david-byrne-wrong-spotify-thom-yorke (Links to an external site.)
Using original research into the social and economic issues of streaming music, analyze these two positions and explain why you agree with one position and disagree with the other:
- Do you think streaming takes advantage of artists, or is it the wave of the future?
- Does it benefit artists more than audiences, or audiences more than artists?
- Does the advent of streaming services improve or harm the music industry as a whole? How does streaming strengthen or weaken culture?
Your well-written paper should meet the following requirements:
- Feel free to use the readings:
- Chapter 9 in Media/Society
- Deluliis, D. (2015). Gatekeeping theory from social fields to social networks. Communication Research Trends, 34(1), 4-23.
- Ellingsen, S. (2014). Seismic shifts: Platforms, content creators and spreadable media. Media International Australia (8/1/07-Current), (150), 106-113.
- Merchant, G. (2013). The trashmaster: Literacy and new media. Language & Education: An International Journal, 27(2), 144-160. doi:10.1080/09500782.2012.760586
- in addition to incorporating at least 3-4 scholarly sources not used in this class.
- Make your paper 3-4 pages in length, not including the cover and reference pages.
- Format your document according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements (Links to an external site.).
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE EXPERT ACADEMIC WRITERS?
Answering this question is not essay as it seems. It will require you to research or burn your brain power, write your findings down, edit, proofread severally, and submit unsure of the grade you will get. Assignist.com assignment writers are offering to take care of that. Order your assignment now, relax, submit, and enjoy excellent grades. We guarantee you 100% original answers, timely delivery, and some free products.