Javier emigrated from Mexico with his family and is starting third grade with minimal ability to speak English. His teacher, a recent graduate from an urban state university, is not optimistic about Javier’s chances for success. The school offers few resources for bilingual education and the principal tells her “Just do the best you can.” How should the teacher approach this situation? How will her pessimistic attitude impact Javier’s
Part 1: Short answer questions: the answers may require a few sentences to a paragraph. Six questions at 12 points each.
- Javier emigrated from Mexico with his family and is starting third grade with minimal ability to speak English. His teacher, a recent graduate from an urban state university, is not optimistic about Javier’s chances for success. The school offers few resources for bilingual education and the principal tells her “Just do the best you can.” How should the teacher approach this situation? How will her pessimistic attitude impact Javier’s experience?
- A teacher is conducting a study in his classroom. He wants to determine whether students perform better on a concepts test after using a mini-lecture approach or after engaging in a group activity. What type of research should he use to conduct this study and how will he gather the information he needs?
- “High horse power, poor steering,” is a common phrase describing adolescent brain maturity. What does this mean?
- Sierra walked into class late and felt quite embarrassed. To make matters worse, she was having a bad hair day and felt like all eyes were on her, judging her, and rejecting her. Explain what is happening her from the perspective of Piaget’s developmental model.
- A new fifth grade teacher is surprised to learn that her school has reduced the amount of recess for all students and eliminated time for physical education in the fifth grade curriculum. Kim believes that exercise and recess enhance academic performance. Based on national trends, why is her school (like many other schools in the U.S.) most likely reducing recess and physical education?
- A school counselor has noticed that a student shows signs of anorexia and another shows signs of bulimia. How can he help?
Part 2 Essay: Choose one of the following and answer with a few paragraphs or a page.
- A beginning teacher in suburban Houston will be teaching fifth grade math and science and wonders how the diversity of his class will compare to the diversity he experienced growing up in Chicago. His principal describes the school as a typical representation of the diversity found in schools across the United States. Describe the diversity he might expect based on national norms. Include racial, ethnic, language, economic, and developmental diversity. How will he best teach every student the same curriculum?
- A second grade classroom of 26 students represents a wide range of diversity. The students include six English learners, one student who just arrived from Mexico, three students with special learning needs, students from extreme poverty to middle class, and students from various ethnic groups. She has divided students into three reading groups and expects other students to work silently and independently as she works with reading groups. All students work on the same spelling tasks and worksheets during their independent seatwork. How might the teacher adjust procedures during reading group time to follow Vygotsky’s ideas about the zone of proximal development?
- Two of the students in a second grade class exhibit aggressive behaviors. They use aggressive language, name calling, and threats to hurt others. One of these students instigates physical fights and has difficulty following class rules about showing respect and keeping hands to self. Discuss sources that contribute to such aggression and describe how the teacher might deal with such aggression in this classroom.
Did you know you can hire someone to answer this question? Yes, assignist.com is a hub of paper writers, dedicated to completing research and summaries, critical thinking tasks, essays, coursework, and other homework tasks. It is simple as ABC.